Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I guess I can trust Highlights

"Crimson Harvest" - that's the title of an article 11yo Secunda is reading in the current Highlights magazine. When I saw the title I thought "oh great - some liberal bigot going on about how the Inuit seal harvest is so damned cruel, lots of bloody pictures, lefty propaganda for the kiddies, etc." Well, no - it's an article about harvesting cranberries. It seems we really can trust Highlights. Unlike the sadly politicized National Geographic, which is basically a polysyllabic Time magazine. We cancelled that crap after a few months' subscription.

Ha! I just went to the National Geographic website - the title of the homepage is "National Geographic - Inspiring People to Care About the Planet." In other words, we have a BBC-style climate-nut agenda we'll push in every article.

4 comments:

  1. Marie7:12 AM

    This is so funny, we love Highlights, and a couple years ago I tried National Geographic because I had such fond memories (like of Highlights) and was shocked by how little content there was. Even the photography is not much any more. It made me really sad.
    Jury is still out on Cricket, but I'm finding that with the kids mags, like with the textbooks, I have better luck finding something used. It's new to them. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they still have Goofus and Gallant? That was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... my Mom subscribed to Cricket for me lo! these many years ago. It was a bit too literary for my taste. She also accidentally subscribed to some film-criticism magazine in my name, one number of which featured an in-depth review of what must have been "In the Realm of the Senses" (there aren't too many Japanese films with that plot feature, at least not back then - which reminds me of Kathy Shaidle's question: Did we nuke the Japanese too much or not enough?).

    My wife confirms that Goofus and Gallant are still in Highlights. That magazine was always the best part of a visit to the doctor's office back in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right about NG-but I still love the maps.

    ReplyDelete